$250.00 / person(at 6:1 ratio)
Start a new trip
Avalanche kit rental includes transceiver, shovel and probe. If you are bringing your own avi kit, this must include a modern, digital, 3-antenna transceiver, and a solid shovel and probe. If you do not have all three of these things then you must rent a kit from us to take part. Avi Kits once rented are non-refundable.
Save on postage and have this indispensable trip planning guide delivered to you at your course. With well over 500 Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale rated Island tours, this guidebook allows you to apply the learning from your IAG/HVI course to doing real trips in the mountains.
As per our Cancellation Policy, your trip or course is 100% non-refundable after 30 days prior to the trip/course start date. Purchasing this addon will allow you to cancel your trip/course within that 30 day time period for reasons of injury, illness or family emergency, and will provide you with a credit for the full value of your trip/course fee which can be be used on any Island Alpine Guides or Hike Vancouver Island trip or course or trip for up to one year from the start date of the trip/course originally booked.
- 1 day with an ACMG guide
- Personal equipment
- Avi kit (available as an add-on)
- Volunteer-run ski hill located 20 km from Woss - see driving directions here
- The road to Mount Cain is a serious mountain road and requires chains and winter tires
- Washroom facilities available
- To use the lifts or rent accommodation at Mount Cain, you must be a MCAPS member - membership can be purchased for $20 and goes towards supporting the hill
- There is no potable water (rental cabins supplied with water jugs, otherwise please bring what you require)
- Parking lot is often used for car camping (there may be other groups using this area, so please be respectful of others by keeping the noise to a minimum and packing out what you pack in)
- Check out Mount Cain’s accommodation rental page for accommodation details.
- Are an advanced skier or boarder (able to ride black diamond-equivalent runs comfortably and safely in natural conditions)
- Have moderate fitness (able to hike for 2-3 hours/day)
- Have a basic understanding of your gear, and any limitations
- Are prepared to spend the day outside in variable conditions (please see gear list)
- 19+ (or accompanied by a parent or guardian)
- Avalanche Transceiver (must be a modern, digital three-antenna)*
- Shovel: Collapsible aluminum shovel*
- Probe: Normal length probe somewhere from 220cm to 320cm*
- Ski touring skis/board
- Ski touring/snowboard boots
- Day pack (30 - 40L, or whatever will fit your gear)
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight, breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hat
- Balaclava or another type of neck warmer
- Baselayers (top and bottom)
- Lunch and snacks (prepared ahead of time and consumable on the go)
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Personal first aid (e.g. blister kit, medication)
- Camera (optional)
Avalanche Kit: We offer rental transceivers, shovels and probes as an add-on kit when you book or by request pre-trip. If you do not have your own modern, digital, three antenna transceiver, collapsible shovel, and/or probe - please request a rental kit prior to your course/trip.
Touring Gear: 'Ski Tak Hut' in Courtenay (https://www.skitakhut.com/pages/rentals) offers backcountry ski and splitboard rentals. Clients on IAG courses and trips are eligible to receive a unique 25% discount code towards their gear rentals from Ski Tak Hut - for the duration of their course/trip with us. These discount codes are distributed directly by IAG to our clients upon request. Rentals from Ski Tak Hut can be ordered online using the unique discount code. Note you will be asked to show the booking confirmation you received from us when you pick up your gear.
Winter 4x4 Vehicle(s): 'Far Out Wilderness' (https://faroutwilderness.com/ski-tours-winter-4x4/) is a 4x4 vehicle rental service in Victoria that offers clients access to a fleet of rugged, reliable, and fully-equipped vehicles designed to conquer the most challenging winter terrain. Their vehicles come with snow tires with the 3 peak mountain symbol, chains, and ski racks. They also provide emergency equipment, including SOS, SPOT messenger systems, GPS, tire pump, toe rope, tire pressure gauge, a map to BC's backcountry roads, and a first aid kit. Everything you need to get safely to the ski slopes! Upon request, IAG clients can receive a 5% discount code towards their rentals from 'Far Out Wilderness'.
Great day. Insanely DEEP day. Joe was professional, knowledgable and on-it, as per usual (...). The day was epic. Would highly recommend to anyone, and everyone in our group was really happy with it. My hip-flexors however have never been so fried.Marc B.,
I really enjoyed this and will do it again with you. Thanks for your wonderful stories, intimate knowledge of the terrain and relaxed way of getting everything to work like clockwork.Wayne Shtybal, Saanich, BC
My wife and I had a spectacular time ski touring on Vancouver Island, thanks to IAG. We will (and have already) highly recommend IAG to our friends. Jan and IAG helped maximize our vacation time by finding safe routes and untracked lines all day. Vancouver Island has so much to offer, and IAG helped us enjoy the skiing, touring, and culture that are there!Brian McNamara, Portland, Oregon.