$315.00 / person(at 8:1 ratio) Next Trip: Jan 6 - 7, 2024
0 spots available. $315.00
4 spots available. $315.00
Start a new trip
Avalanche kit rental includes transceiver, shovel and probe. If you are bringing your own avi kit, this must include a modern, digital, 3-antenna transceiver, and a solid shovel and probe. If you do not have all three of these things then you must rent a kit from us to take part. Avi Kits once rented are non-refundable.
We offer specially priced lift tickets for the duration of your guided course or trip. Purchase is necessary to take part, unless you have a seasons pass or a ticket of your own. No need to buy for each day of the course, only a single ticket purchase is necessary. Please note that once purchased, lift tickets are non-refundable.
Save on postage and have this indispensable trip planning guide delivered to you at your course. With well over 500 Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale rated Island tours, this guidebook allows you to apply the learning from your AST course to doing real trips in the mountains.
- Understand the basics of avalanche formation and release
- Recognize avalanche terrain
- Develop a pre-trip plan
- Use the Avaluator decision-making system
- Interpret avalanche bulletins
- Safe travel in avalanche terrain (uphill and down)
- Complete slope scale assessments
- Enact a companion rescue
- 2 days of instruction with a certified instructor
- Certificate of completion
- Avalanche Skills Training Handbook
- Avaluator Trip Planner/Slope Assessment Tool
- Avalanche Canada student fee
- Personal equipment
- Avi Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe – available as an add-on)
- Lift ticket (available as an add on)
Unless public health advice is to the contrary, we will return to in-person classroom sessions for all of our AST courses over the 2023/2024 season.
Our standard in-person classroom is in the Comox Valley and we use Mount Washington Alpine Resort as an access point to backcountry terrain for the field day.
We may complete some companion rescue practice on the theory day, in which case avi kits will be required.
Exact meeting details will be provided in the pre-trip email sent one-week prior to the start of your course.
- Have moderate fitness (able to hike for 2-3 hours/day)
- Have a basic understanding of your gear, and any limitations (consider practicing with your transceiver beforehand if possible)
- Be prepared to spend the day outside in variable conditions (please see gear list)
These items are available as an add on “avalanche kit” when you book, or by request for $30/day.
- Avalanche Transceiver (must be a modern, digital three-antenna)
- Shovel: Collapsible aluminum shovel
- Probe: Normal length probe somewhere from 220cm to 320cm
- Snowshoes + ski poles with big baskets
- Warm boots to hike (Sorrels or hiking boots with gaiters)
- Day pack (30 - 40L, or whatever will fit your gear)
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight, breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hat
- Balaclava or another type of neck warmer
- Baselayers (top and bottom)
- Lunch and snacks (prepared ahead of time and consumable on the go)
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Personal first aid (e.g. blister kit, medication)
- Notebook and pencil (Rite in the Rain recommended)
Avalanche Kit: We offer rental transceivers, shovels and probes as an add-on kit when you book or by request pre-trip. If you do not have your own modern, digital, three antenna transceiver, collapsible shovel, and/or probe - please request a rental kit prior to your course/trip.
Snowshoes: 'Ski Tak Hut' in Courtenay (https://www.skitakhut.com/pages/rentals) offers snowshoe rentals. Clients on IAG courses and trips are eligible to receive a unique 25% discount code towards their gear rentals from Ski Tak Hut - for the duration of their course/trip with us. Discount codes are distributed directly by IAG to our clients upon request. Rentals from Ski Tak Hut can be ordered online using the unique discount code. Note you will be asked to show the booking confirmation you received from us when you pick up your gear.
Winter 4x4 Vehicle(s): 'Far Out Wilderness' (https://faroutwilderness.com/ski-tours-winter-4x4/) is a 4x4 vehicle rental service in Victoria that offers clients access to a fleet of rugged, reliable, and fully-equipped vehicles designed to conquer the most challenging winter terrain. Their vehicles come with snow tires with the 3 peak mountain symbol, chains, and ski racks. They also provide emergency equipment, including SOS, SPOT messenger systems, GPS, tire pump, toe rope, tire pressure gauge, a map to BC's backcountry roads, and a first aid kit. Everything you need to get safely to the ski slopes! Upon request, IAG clients can receive a 5% discount code towards their rentals from 'Far Out Wilderness'.
Questions? Check out our FAQ page for information about gear fitting, rentals, add ons, and other commonly asked questions, or send us an email.
Graeme was an amazing instructor. His wisdom and experience are hugely beneficial. I'm learned a lot with this course.Anon. ,
I was over the moon with this course. I took it 10+ years ago (with IAG as well) and feel like I got so much out of doing it again and am so glad that we did it. I wanted to say that Bryn did a really awesome job on the Saturday. Please pass that on to him, he was engaging and really knowledgable, and also brought a human aspect. The field day with Bill felt like a real honour to be learning from someone with so much experience and such a snow nerd that was very good at explaining things in a way that I feel like can be applied. Being able to actually go through and see terrain really helped give me more context and lots to think about. In short it was all great.Jillian, Mt Washington
Zoom session was very engaging. Bryn is an excellent instructor and the personal stories really helped deliver the message. For the field day Bill was great! Very positive attitude and patient with the questions that our group had. Felt very safe out there with Bill!Jon, Mt Washington
The online portion was very engaging. The instructor had an intuitive ability to deliver the content in a way that kept my attention for the entire day. On both days the use of subject matter experts and instructors who are genuine in their interest is priceless. On the second day Jan was able to perfectly "throttle" his extreme level of expertise and skill to apply to our beginner level group and allowed me to take away a lot of valuable information without being overwhelmed.Dave, Mount Washington