$195.00 / person(at 6 :1 ratio)
Start a new trip
Avalanche kit rental includes transceiver, shovel and probe. If you are bringing your own avi kit, this must include a modern, digital, 3-antenna transceiver, and a solid shovel and probe. If you do not have all three of these things then you must rent a kit from us to take part. Avi Kits once rented are non-refundable.
Spend an enjoyable day with one of our guides and gain experience moving through untracked terrain. This one-day beginner course provides tips and tricks needed for smooth travel in simple backcountry terrain. We'll cover basics such as gear selection and use to skinning technique and route selection.
- Selecting, understanding, and using backcountry gear
- Skinning technique
- Basics of skiing in natural conditions
- Introduction to winter travel considerations and hazards
- Route finding and track setting
- Opportunity for supervised practice and coaching
- Suggestions for progression
- 1 day with a qualified instructor
- Personal equipment
- Avi kit (available as an add-on)
Exact meeting details will be provided in a pre-trip email sent one-week prior to the start of your course.
- Have moderate fitness (able to hike for 2-3 hours/day)
- Are prepared to spend the day outside in variable conditions (please see gear list)
- Are an intermediate rider (able to safely ride blue-squares)
The choice between alpine touring skis, telemark skis or a splitboard is up to you. Choose the mode of transport that you are hoping to gain experience with.
These items are available as an add on “avalanche kit” when you book, or by request for $15
- Avalanche Transceiver (must be a modern, digital three-antenna)
- Shovel: Collapsible aluminum shovel
- Probe: Normal length probe somewhere from 220cm to 320cm
- Ski touring skis/board
- Ski touring/snowboard boots
- Day pack (30 - 40L, or whatever will fit your gear)
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight, breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hat
- Balaclava or another type of neck warmer
- Baselayers (top and bottom)
- Lunch and snacks (prepared ahead of time and consumable on the go)
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Personal first aid (e.g. blister kit, medication)
- Camera (optional)
- Touring Gear: Ski Tak Hut offers 25% off backcountry rentals (skins, boots, and skis or a splitboard) for clients on IAG trips and courses. These can be ordered online using a discount code. Contact us after you have booked to receive your unique code. Note you will be asked to show the booking confirmation you received from us when you pick up your gear.
- Avalanche Kit: We offer transceivers, shovels and probes for $15 as an add on kit when you book. If you do not have your own gear, please request prior to your trip.
I am SO grateful for the course! The beginning instruction in the parking lot was SO helpful to understand our gear and how to use it and then with that foundation we got out on the skis. I learned so many skills and feel confident to begin ski touring. I was a weaker skier than the other people and the instructor made sure I was very comfortable and even though I was really nervous about skiing, it was the best ski day I’ve ever had thanks to his help. Right away he reinforced that we were there to have fun, and I could take as much time as I want and there was no pressure and just to do what I was comfortable with. It was so wonderful! He also let our group tailor the day and prioritize what we want most to learn about which was wonderful. I cannot recommend this course highly enough.Lydia G., Mt Washington
The whole day was fantastic. Helene was a fabulous instructor who met the needs of the whole group.Lisa Duthie, Mount Washington
Nate was an amazing teacher and instructor for the intro to backcountry course. If you are interested in getting into back country skiing this is the course to take and the person to take it with. Nate fostered an inclusive environment and did a good job answering any and all questions. Could not have asked for a better instructor for the intro to backcountry course. I'd recommend this course to any of my friends, and it definitely wont be my last course with IAG thanks to Nate and his fantastic instruction!!Anonymous, Mt Washington
Excellent overall introduction to Backcountry skiing, Nathan presented the various subjects with enthusiasm and clarity, his background knowledge was evident. I would be very happy to learn more from Nathan and would feel very comfortable to follow his lead on another course or adventure.Alain, Mt Washington
Nate's instruction met everyone where they were at in a really non-judgmental and accepting space. It was exactly what I was looking for in an intro course.Ashley, Mt Washington