$1,090.00 / person(at 4:1 ratio)
Start a new trip
Avalanche kit rental includes transceiver, shovel and probe. If you are bringing your own avi kit, this must include a modern, digital, 3-antenna transceiver, and a solid shovel and probe. If you do not have all three of these things then you must rent a kit from us to take part. Avi Kits once rented are non-refundable.
Save on postage and have this indispensable trip planning guide delivered to you at your course. With well over 500 Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale rated Island tours, this guidebook allows you to apply the learning from your AST course to doing real trips in the mountains.
- 5 days with an ACMG guide
- Group technical gear
- Personal gear (avi kit and some other items available for rent)
- Feel comfortable traveling for extended days in a backcountry winter environment including winter camping and movement in adverse winter conditions
- Are an advanced level skiers or boarders (in this case, it means that you should be able to easily ride the equivalent of black diamond runs in natural and variable conditions at a minimum)
- Have a high level of fitness (able to cover 5-15 km a day and 1500m elevation, or move for 8 hrs a day (with a heavy pack if on an expedition, or a day pack if the trip uses roofed accommodation)
- Participants must be 19+, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian unless registering for a youth specific trip.
- Touring ski/board, boots, skins, poles
- 60+ litre backpack (or something large enough to fit personal gear, group gear, and food)
- Avalanche transceiver (modern, digital, 3-antenna), probe, shovel (available for rent as “avi kit”)
- Helmet (UIAA approved and adjustable)
- Ice axe* (50-80cm, general mountaineering tool)
- 3 locking carabiners (one “pear” shaped)
- 3 non-locking carabiners (two should be matching flat stock)
- 7mm accessory cord (2 x five-meter lengths)
- Double shoulder length sewn sling (120cm length, rated to 22kn)
- Boot and ski crampons if a spring trip
- Warm socks, 2 pairs
- Base layers (top and bottom)
- Mid-insulation layers
- Waterproof jacket and pants (Gore-Tex or other waterproof breathable material)
- Warm outer jacket (down or synthetic)
- Warm toque
- Face warmer (scarf, neck tube, face mask, buff)
- Light gloves, 2 pairs
- Insulated gloves or mitts, 2 pairs
- 4-season tent
- Winter sleeping bag (warm to -15 depending on time of year and forecast)
- Sleeping pad (something that gets you off the ground and is rated for winter)
- Pot, stove and fuel (available as a “cook kit” add-on)
- Food (please note that all lunches should be ready-to-eat, and will likely be consumed on the go). For tasty, nutritous and locally pre-made dinners check out https://wildedgeketo.com/
- Sun protection (sunscreen, glasses, and hat)
- Camp booties or shoes
- Small general repair kit (e.g. for sleeping pad, stove, tent, any parts specific to your bindings/equipment)
- Small personal first aid (medication, blister kit, etc.)
- Personal toiletries (keep to minimum)
- Bowl, cutlery, thermos
- Water bottles (minimum 2L capacity)
- Camera or phone
- Water purification
- Hand sanitizer
- Map and compass (compass available as a rental add-on, bring your own map for the trip location)
- Altimetre (optional)
- Notebook (Rite in the Rain recommended) and pencil
Touring Gear: 'Ski Tak Hut' in Courtenay (https://www.skitakhut.com/pages/rentals) offers backcountry ski and splitboard rentals. Clients on IAG courses and trips are eligible to receive a unique 25% discount code towards their gear rentals from Ski Tak Hut - for the duration of their course/trip with us. These discount codes are distributed directly by IAG to our clients upon request. Rentals from Ski Tak Hut can be ordered online using the unique discount code. Note you will be asked to show the booking confirmation you received from us when you pick up your gear.
Avalanche Kit: We offer rental transceivers, shovels and probes as an add-on kit when you book or by request pre-trip. If you do not have your own modern, digital, three antenna transceiver, collapsible shovel, and/or probe - please request a rental kit prior to your course/trip.
Technical Gear: Our Mountaineering Kit rental includes all the items on the technical gear list, and is available for $15/day. These can be purchased when you book or requested later as an add on.
Winter 4x4 Vehicle(s): 'Far Out Wilderness' (https://faroutwilderness.com/ski-tours-winter-4x4/) is a 4x4 vehicle rental service in Victoria that offers clients access to a fleet of rugged, reliable, and fully-equipped vehicles designed to conquer the most challenging winter terrain. Their vehicles come with snow tires with the 3 peak mountain symbol, chains, and ski racks. They also provide emergency equipment, including SOS, SPOT messenger systems, GPS, tire pump, toe rope, tire pressure gauge, a map to BC's backcountry roads, and a first aid kit. Everything you need to get safely to the ski slopes! Upon request, IAG clients can receive a 5% discount code towards their rentals from 'Far Out Wilderness'.