As low as:
$195.00 / person(at 4:1 ratio)
Get in touch and we will schedule a trip for you!
Start a new trip
Start a new trip
Experience climbing outdoors over a fun-filled day at the crags. Learn to move fluidly on the rock as you learn the basics to climb, belay, and rappel (descend). Suitable for all ages and a great day for a family, this low ratio day can be customized to suit your needs.
Note: this is a hybrid between a course and a guided day, and does not include anchor building. For a more comprehensive introduction to rock climbing, we recommend our two-day Intro to Rock course.
- Movement on rock
Included in the price:
- 1 day with an ACMG guide
- Group technical gear
- Personal technical hear (harness, helmet, carabiners, belay devices, climbing shoes)
Not included in the price:
- Transportation to and from meeting point
- Personal equipment
Questions? Check out our FAQ page for details about our booking and cancellation policy, and other commonly asked questions.
Courses typically take place at Comox (Cumberland) Lake Crags, but Quadra Island, Crest Creek Crags, Nanaimo River, and Mount Wells (Victoria) are also options.
Locations will be noted on the booking tab with the corresponding date. If you would like to request a specific location prior to booking, please reach out.
Note: certain crags may be more suitable depending on the weather and time of year – if weather dictates that the course will be delivered more optimally elsewhere, we may provide the option of moving your course to a more suitable location. We encourage you to maintain some flexibility in your plans to allow this possibility.
Exact meeting details will be provided in a pre-trip email sent one week before your course.
Questions? Check out our FAQ page for details, or send us an email.
A typical day starts at 09:00 and ends around 17:00.
Curriculum delivery will depend on the students, the instructor and other factors such as weather and conditions, but below is a general idea of what to expect:
- 09:00 – Meet at the location specified in your pre-trip email. The instructor will facilitate introductions and hand out any rental items. You will then sign waivers (please note that anyone under 19 needs to have their waiver signed by a parent or guardian and sent in prior to the course if unaccompanied). The crags are usually a short hike from the parking lot. You will set up here for the day, progressing through the day at a pace that works for your group.
- 17:00 – Complete your day and return any rental equipment.
Exact meeting details will be provided in a pre-trip email sent one-week prior to your course. Questions? Check out our FAQ page for details, or send us an email.
This day is geared towards beginners, and no previous experience is necessary. That said, please come prepared to:
- Hike a short distance to the crag
- Spend the day outdoors in a variety of conditions
Questions about the suitability of this course? Send us an email. We’re happy to help you find or customize courses to suit your needs.
Your guide will provide all group gear (or “the rack” -- ropes, slings, carabiners, etc.). Please bring the following, and reach out if you have any questions:
If you require any of the items on the technical gear list, please email us to request it (along with any sizing requirements such as shoe size).
- Belay device & locking carabiner
- Climbing shoes
- T-shirt or long-sleeve (ideally loose-fitting)
- Pants (ideally loose-fitting, tapered at the ankle)
- Rain gear (jacket and pants)
- Mid-weight insulating jacket
- Approach shoes (something that will provide some support on trails to the climb)
- Toque and/or sun hat
- Sunglasses that block 100% UV
- SPF lip balm
- Lunch (pre-prepared) and snacks
- Water bottle
- Notebook and pencil (Rite in the Rain recommended)
- 30L backpack
If you own any additional equipment, you are encouraged to bring it along so that you can learn more about the gear you already own.
Questions? Send us an email or read our blog for advice on choosing appropriate gear.
We really enjoyed our Rock Experience course last week. It was great! Ken did an excellent job of working with each of us at our various skill levels, putting everybody at ease and giving lots of positive encouragement. And the location was beautiful — loved the forest! Thanks so much.Andrea Hubbard, Victoria, BC
Jan was a great guide! We had an introduction to outdoor climbing & anchor building and he tailored our day of private instruction to exactly what we wanted and where we wanted to climb; In this case, Quadra Island. Coming with no previous knowledge of outdoor climbing, I found it be the perfect balance of theory and climbing. I'm very confident with the skills I have no to go outdoors and top rope with just the one day course. I am definitely booking again for lead and other outdoor courses with Island Alpine Guides!Dana & Grant, Parksville
I had an amazing time on this course. Ken was an awesome instructor, a good balance between clear and concise instruction, and humour! Since the course, I’ve bought all my own gear and have been travelling around the island to different crags since. I’m hooked!Shannon Hamilton, Tofino, BC